If you lose a dog, get your dog’s information everywhere!
Write down as much info about your dog as possible:
- Entire or neutered
- Microchip number
- Description of collar and tag
- Time they went missing
- Area they went missing from
- Circumstance in which the dog was lost
- A good recent photo to share
Ring the dog warden between 9am and 5pm on 01793 445501 or on 01793 466453 at all other times.
Ring all vets in Swindon to see if your dog has been handed in:
- Vets Klinic (01793) 876619,
- Drove Vets Wroughton (01793) 522483,
- Drove Vets Abby Meads (01793) 728728,
- Drove Vets Mordon (01793) 614461,
- Drove Vets Wotton Bassett (01793) 852466
- Drove Vets Stratton (01793) 821821
- Drove Vet Taw Hill (01793) 725514
- Eastcott Vets (01793) 528341
- Companion Care Vets (01793) 836700
- Vets Now Refurrals (01793) 603800
- Thameswood Vets (01793) 526780
- Shaw Vets (01793) 881919
Email the details to Dog Lost. This is a free website that will create a “Missing” poster for your dog, using a photo. You can email the poster to the dog warden and above vets, as well as printing it out to share in the area where the dog went missing.
Also if you type in “lost” in your Facebook search, you should find lots of Facebook pages for lost pets in Swindon.
Stray dogs collected by the dog warden:
Every effort will be made to locate and notify a dog’s owner but, if one cannot be not be identified, the dog will be taken to one of the kennels used by the Council, where it will be kept for seven days.
If, at the end of this period, the dog is not claimed, the ownership of the dog legally transfers to the Council and efforts are made to re-home it, often through ourselves (SNDogs). It is very rare that the council would put a dog to sleep and then only if it was not possible to re-home it due to illness, extreme old age or if it was considered to be dangerous.
Dogs found to be regularly straying will automatically be taken to kennels, and the owner, if known, will be informed.
When a dog is claimed, the owner is required to pay costs. These costs must be paid to the Council before collecting the dog. A breakdown of the costs can be found here.